CAN Capital Reviews - Financial Lender Pros & Cons
- Will accept as little as six months in business. Most small business lenders require a minimum of two years in business.
- Loan amounts to $200,000, or up to $300,000 by exception. (The industry average is about $150,000).
- No collateral is required, other than future cash flow on merchant cash advances.
- Most industries accepted as long as they meet CAN Capital credit policy guidelines.
- As little as 5% ownership required by applicants. Most competitors require at least 51%.
- Minimum of three deposits per monthly bank statement. Most competitors require five or more per day.
- A prepayment discount is available for early payoff, after the first 90 days of the loan term.
- More flexible bankruptcy discharge requirements than either banks or competing small business lenders.
- Credit score minimum FICO requirement of 600 is higher than other business lenders.
- The 3% origination fee is higher than the 2% charged by most other business lenders.
- Limited ability to refinance competitor loans, since there is a minimum 70% merchant net requirement (the typical business lender requirement is 50%).
- Business tax returns are required.
- No interest forgiveness on renewals.
- Due to the emphasis of underwriting on the back end of the application phase, there is a greater likelihood of loan decline late in the process than is the case with other business lenders.
About CAN Capital
CAN Capital began operating in 1998. Ever since, they've been helping small businesses get the working capital they need to move forward. They work to continually improve the financial services they offer to merchants in a wide variety of industries.
CAN Capital lends to small businesses in all 50 states. The company has provided over $6.5 billion in working capital to more than 185,000 small businesses. They operate out of three offices - New York City, Kennesaw, Georgia, and San Jose, Costa Rica.
The company provides both small business term loans and merchant cash advances. They use innovative and proprietary risk models, combined with daily performance data, to evaluate business performance and enable merchants to access capital quickly and efficiently.
CAN Capital makes small business term loans available to businesses through WebBank, an FDIC member bank chartered in 1997, and based in Salt Lake City, Utah. WebBank works with many different online lenders, including Lending Club, and other peer-to-peer lenders.
Merchant cash advances are made through CAN Capital's subsidiary, CAN Capital Merchant Services, Inc.
CAN Capital Drill Down
AdvanceMe Merchant Portal. This is CAN Capital's merchant destination site. It is available exclusively for Merchant Cash Advance customers, and not small business term loan customers. MCA customers can manage their loans through the portal.
Small business term loan customers can contact customer service, at (888)700-8181.
CAN Capital has the following ratings from third-party business rating services:
- Better Business Bureau: A+ (on a scale of A+ to F), and has been accredited by BBB since December 14, 1998
- TrustPilot: 5 stars out of 5 (Excellent) on more than 500 reviews
- Yelp: Not rated
- Glassdoor (employee reviews): 2.8 stars out of 5, based on 110 reviews
- Customer comments & complaints: RipoffReport - One report filed in 2015, rebuttal provided by CAN Capital
Licenses and Accreditations
CAN Capital Borrower Requirements
To qualify for a small business term loan through CAN Capital you must meet the following requirements:
- Be in business for at least six months
- Applicant(s) must have at least 5% ownership in the business
- Provide at least three month's bank statements
- Provide the most recent business tax return
- Have a minimum personal credit score of 600
- Must have a minimum of three deposits per month
- Maximum five negative deposit days within the most recent three months
- No personal or business bankruptcy that has not been discharged for at least one year
CAN Capital Application Process
The CAN Capital small business term loan application process can be completed through a broker, like Cardiff Bank. Same-day approvals are possible, as long as all required documentation is provided immediately. No collateral is required, and you can get funds for any purpose.
In order to make application, you need to provide the following documentation:
- Completed loan application, signed within 30 days
- Personal information of majority owner(s)
- Most recent three month's business bank statements
- Most recent business tax return
Personal guarantees are required from all owners on the loan application.
No application fee is required, nor does the company charge a document fee. The 3% origination fee will be automatically deducted from your business bank account the day after funding.
CAN Capital Underwriting Considerations. While there are consistencies among business lenders, each have their own specific approach. CAN Capital differs from some business lenders in that they don't do the underwriting on the front end. Instead, they do a preliminary review, and make a loan offer based on their findings. This will include a review of FICO scores, gross sales based on the previous year's tax return, and the industry type. From there, they use an internal tier system and calculator to determine the rate, amount and term that the merchant qualifies for.
If the merchant decides to accept the offer, they can sign the loan documents and move the process forward. A full underwriting will be done after the signed documents are received. At that point, CAN Capital will review business bank statements, obtain references from landlords or mortgage lenders, verify the existence of any outstanding loans that will need to be repaid, and verify the ownership of the business.
This does lead to a higher incidence of loan declines later in the process, than is typically the case for other lenders.
CAN Capital Small Business Term Loans
CAN Capital small business term loans are offered under the following terms:
Loan purpose. Loans must be business related. Merchant must net at least 70% of the loan proceeds, with the balance available for pay off of competitor loan balances. Will pay off up to two competitor balances. Tax liens and judgments cannot exceed $175,000.
Loan proceeds may be used for any of the following purposes:
- Inventory purchase
- New equipment
- Payment of taxes
- Technology upgrade
- Business expansion
- Business or property renovation
Industries funded. Most industries are eligible for financing. Preferred industries include healthcare, dentists, veterinarians, restaurants, hotels, amusement and recreation, and printing and publishing.
Additional industries funded include:
- Auto repair businesses
- Retail merchants
- Personal services
- Business services
- Furniture stores
- Liquor stores
- Tobacco stores
- Specialty trades
- General contractors
Cautionary Industries. None. CAN Capital will consider any industry that meets their credit policy guidelines.
Buy rates. 1.15 to 1.49 - If you borrow $100,000, and the buy rate is 1.30, you'll be required to repay $130,000 ($100,000 X 1.30). That does not include the origination fee.
Origination and document fees. 3% origination on small business term loans. The fee is automatically deducted from your business bank account the day after funding. (There is a $395 Administration fee on merchant cash advances - see Merchant Cash Advance section below.)
Loan term. Six to 18 months.
Collateral required. None, but personal guarantee(s) are required from business owner(s).
Repayment frequency. Payments are made automatically each weekday. The predetermined amount is debited from the business bank account. Repayment uses simple automated ACH deductions from the business checking account.
Stacking. CAN Capital must be the first position lender. They will pay off up to two competitor loans, but must not be greater than 30% of the funded amount.
Loan Renewal Policy. CAN Capital will consider a renewal as soon as at least 50% of the original loan balance has been paid. They will also pay off stacks. A CAN Capital renewal specialist will contact you when you become eligible for renewal review.
There is also a prepayment discount available, after the first 90 days of the loan term. CAN Capital does not indicate the amount of the discount, which may be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Interest forgiveness. Not available.
Exceptions. CAN Capital will consider the following exceptions:
- Will go up to 24 month term for strong files in the medical industry.
- Will go as high as $300,000 loan amount for strong files in the medical industry.
- Merchants with as little as six months in business will be considered.
Who CAN Capital Small Business Term Loans Work Best For
We've identified seven types of merchants for whom CAN Capital can be a preferred loan source:
- Very young businesses. CAN Capital requires only six months in business to be eligible for a small business term loan or merchant cash advance. The typical small business lender requires at least two years in business, and banks may require more.
- Merchants in industries excluded by other lenders. CAN Capital does not have a list of excluded merchants. Merchants engaged in nearly any industry may be eligible for a small business term loan or a merchant cash advance.
- Business owners who do not hold a majority interest. Owners with as little as 5% ownership in the business can apply for financing through CAN Capital. This is well below the requirement of 50% or more ownership required by most competing lenders.
- Merchants that don't meet the minimum deposits requirement with other lenders. Most small business lenders require a five or more bank deposits per day. CAN Capital requires only three per month.
- Medical providers with strong credit files. Strong healthcare providers can get loan terms of up to 24 months, and financing of up to $300,000. Both are well above the norm among small business lenders.
- Merchants in states not well served by small business lenders. CAN Capital lends in all 50 states, so if you live in one that has very few small business lenders, you may be able to get financing from CAN Capital.
- Business owners who have a bankruptcy discharged for a minimum of one year. Banks typically require that you're discharged from bankruptcy for a minimum of seven years. Competing small business lenders usually require a minimum of three years, or no bankruptcy history whatsoever. CAN Capital will accept a bankruptcy discharged for at least one year.
CAN Capital Merchant Cash Advances
In addition to small business term loans, CAN Capital also provides merchant cash advances. The cash advances are provided under the following terms:
Merchant Cash Advance amount. $2,500 minimum, to a maximum of $150,000 per location.
Collateral required. No assets are required, but the loan is secured by a lien on a portion of future payment card sales. A personal guarantee is also required from the applicant owners of the business.
Merchant Cash Advance term. No set term, maturity date or fixed or minimum payment amounts. This is due to the unpredictable nature of future merchant sales.
Loan Purpose. As is the case with small business term loans, proceeds may be used for just about any purpose. See the term loan section for specific purposes.
Industries funded. Same as for small business term loans.
Merchant Cash Advance Qualification. The requirements are similar to what they are for a small business term loan.
Merchant Cash Advance fees. A $395 Administration fee, but no origination fee or application fee.
Merchant Cash Advance repayment frequency. Automatic daily payments based on a percentage of gross sales. This means that daily payments will vary, based on the amount of sales for that day. Repayment uses simple automated ACH deductions from the business checking account.
Merchant Cash Advance Renewal Policy. The same as with small business term loans.
Merchant Cash Advances are best for: Merchants who might have difficulty managing a fixed monthly payment. Since MCAs are based a fixed percentage of gross sales, and collected daily, the payments will rise and fall based on sales levels. This method of repayment also eliminates the cash flow problems caused by the need for large monthly payments on more traditional loan types.
20 User Reviews
Oct 12, 2017 11:40 PM
CAN CAPITAL has been a lending partner to my retail business for years and they have never disappointed me. The approval is quick and the funding is even quicker! I am glad I found CAN!Reply
Mar 9, 2018 4:51 PM
I must say that CAN capital is a considerate and highly trustworthy lender. They took care of everything in a professional way and offered the best customer service. All my queries were address and questions answered. Looking forward to working with these people again and form a long-term partnership!Reply
Oct 17, 2018 10:05 PM
Their service is prompt and fast! The terms and conditions of the working capital loan are pretty straightforward and transparent. The customer service staff is great, always help you out whenever you reach out! Thanx muchReply
Nov 7, 2019 12:25 AM
Fast, instant and immediate with great attention and commendable customer serviceReply
Apr 23, 2020 3:31 PM
These people are easy to work with unlike other uptight loan managers of big banks and lenders. The deal I got for my tobacco company was adequate and helped straighten up my finances and also streamline payroll. Will definitely suggest this lender to my friends, business partners and colleagues!Reply
Aug 17, 2020 11:16 AM
my spa is going pretty well, thanks to the working capital offered by CAN CAPITAL. Needed an instant cash flow and had been looking for an honest lender who actually provided instant financing, not just clickbait stuff and CAP CAPITAL is just that. An honest lender that provides instant financing through a simple and easy process that begins online, from the ease of your home. Got the funding in some three days and the cash flow immediately helped smoothen my company’s work. Never have I been more thankful to a financer before. In a world of rip off lenders and banks that offer almost impossible lending terms, CAP CAPITAL is truly your best shot! 5 STARS without a doubt!!Reply
Sibyl Mante DVM
Sep 17, 2020 10:36 AM
recommend this place 100%! best lending service without doubtReply
Mr. Myrl Ullrich
Oct 8, 2020 9:43 PM
Literally the best instant financing provider out there! The process is not long and hectic like other lenders and the work done by their representatives is worth mentioning. They put their blood into every deal and sincerely work with you for your business. Will work with these people again in future!Reply
Oct 17, 2020 1:19 PM
good company ! excellent serviceReply
Dec 9, 2020 5:36 AM
These people are nothing but a fraudulent lending company that is after your money!! They don’t care about lending money to help businesses – that is all a sham! My furniture store needed a working capital loan for quick cash flow and to restock the inventory. I applied for a loan with can capital. They were too nice, everything was smooth until everything was done and I was supposed to receive the cash. I did not get the cash at all on the promised day! I tried calling these people and telling them that I did not get the money but they did not respond and when they did, they kept me waiting, saying they had other queries lined up. The customer service is just pathetic! I did not get the cash and they were detecting money from my account. I got worried and tried to get in touch with my loan manger but everything changed now. They were rude to me and showed no patience. I started wondering how could they be so nice when the terms were getting decided and now they were so arrogant and impatient! Now I know why, I did not once object to any terms, their irrational and ridiculous buy rate, I accepted, their this fee and that fee too, I supported. And now when I did not receive the cash in time and I complained why that was so and why were they deducting money, they were all over me. They were more worried about the money I owed to them and not the fact they did not pay me in the first place!! I have withdrawn and will not work with these robbers again!! Beware everyone!Reply
Feb 3, 2021 4:40 PM
I MUST SAY I AM NOT SURPRISED! THESE GUYS REALLY ARE THUGS! HAD AN ALMOST SIMILAR INCIDENT WITH THESE PEOPLE! STARTED DEBITING MY ACCOUNT BEFORE THE FINAL APPROVAL EVEN!! COULD YOU BELIEVE THAT? SUCH IS THEIR GREED, THEY DIDN’T EVEN CARE ABOUT APPROVING THE LOAN!!! AND WHEN I CALLED THEM AND ASKED, THEY WERE ALL OH-SO-NICE AND SAID THEY WERE LOOKING INTO IT!! BACKED OUT IMMEDIATELY AFTER GETTING MY MONEY BACK! EVERYBODY, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE!Reply
Dec 10, 2020 9:26 AM
Worked with Drew to get a working capital loan for my beauty clinic and I must say Drew is a gem! He worked with me day and night to finalize a deal in three days. The cash came the same day. Although Drew had been great, these guys need to work on the customer service. Whenever I called, they put me on waiting. That really irked me. But otherwise, good service.Reply
Dec 18, 2020 8:43 AM
can capital definitely has a great turn-around time.i literally got financing in 2 to 3 days.the process was simple n easy and got money in my bank instantly.thnxReply
Jan 6, 2021 1:52 AM
My distribution company was going through some tough times with slow to even zero sales for months when COVID 19 broke out. Paying my staff and managing other expenses was getting harder with every passing month. I could see my company closing down for good by the end of 2020. This is where I was introduced to CAN Capital through a friend. I applied for their working capital loan and got pretty decent deals. I would have liked a lesser buying rate because they gave me 1.35, which seemed like a lot but I really needed the capital and these people were actually ready to help me when most lenders and banks wouldn’t, mainly due to the market uncertainty as a result of the pandemic. I am thankful to CAN for supporting my business and saving it. I was able to pay my staff on time and keep things running until the market situation got better and sales resumed. I will totally recommend CAN Capital!Reply
Mar 4, 2021 10:34 PM
Not bad service overall but these people are slow for the “instant financing” they claim and also the customer service is not amazing either. I mean, the reps seem like nice people but they have a long way to go in my opinion. They keep you waiting for too long but other than that, the process is smooth and transparent and there is nothing shady about the companyReply
Mar 18, 2021 9:57 AM
the staff was friendly and efficient. i applied for the loan and got eligible and after that, the documentation and everything did not take long. i received the working capital within a day of approval and i was able to streamline my business operations without having to wait much for the money. this lender is definitely a savior and better than most rip-offs who are only after your money! thanks can capital!Reply
Mr. Reinhold Armstrong DVM
Apr 6, 2021 9:03 AM
Nice work done by professional people. Great service, highly recommendedReply
May 7, 2021 6:51 PM
highly professional and patient staff. Didn’t mind my queries, no matter how petty and straightforward they sounded. Dealt with my case in a friendly and nice manner. Looking forward to working with these people again!Reply
May 14, 2021 8:33 AM
I came to praise these guys for their sincere work and stellar customer service but after reading two seriously bad reviews by a couple of people, I feel like I should share my experience too. These guys did deduct money from my account before sending the working capital but when I complained, they sincerely apologized and dealt with the matter on priority. Everybody makes mistakes but if they are apologizing and compensating for the damages, we should let things go too. First, they returned my money and then they proceeded to look into the matter and why this happened. I was highly impatient with them in the beginning when this happened but they did not say a word, just kept apologizing and within a day, they returned my money and took my case on priority. I received the capital the next day and from then on, everything has been going smoothly! I not sure why some people had to face a bad customer service, my experience was literally 5-star! Thank you CAN Capital!Reply
Jun 10, 2021 7:01 PM
Had been trying to get funding from various lenders and banks but had horrible experience. Banks are just too nosy and demanding whereas other lenders, each had their won drawbacks! Some were willing to support but the terms were too short and others were just not willing to finance my business given it’s a year old and has not been working well at all. Can Capital put their trust in my business and helped me in a crucial time. I needed capital badly. Got it instantly through some personal guarantees and was able to smoothen my work operations and manage routine task with easy through the cash flow. Very grateful to Tyler, Nancy and others for their help so far. I am very much satisfied and happy with their service!Reply