Overview of LegalZoom
LegalZoom is an online legal service that aims to be an all-in-one solution for all small businesses' legal requirements. Many sorts of legal work may be done at a modest set charge for businesses, including a Business Advisory Plan, which provides continuing access to attorney consultations and legal evaluations.
LegalZoom is an excellent choice for small firms that lack in-house legal departments or attorneys yet want frequent legal support.
Use our guide to discover more about LegalZoom's services, pricing, and client feedback before deciding if this legal service is ideal for your company.
LegalZoom offers various services for small company owners, ranging from LLC creation to trademark registration.
You may select between one-time services, such as business formation, free services, such as creating specific legal papers, or, as previously noted, the subscription-based Business Advisory plan for ongoing legal support.
Here are a few highlights of what LegalZoom has to offer:
Formation of a Business
- Begin a business and complete the necessary papers in your state.
- Form a limited liability company, a C-corporation, an S-corporation, a nonprofit, a sole proprietorship, a limited partnership, or a limited liability partnership.
- Make a "doing business as" statement (DBA)
- You should reserve your company's name.
Offerings in Business Operations
- Services of a registered agent
- Make operational agreements, bylaws and resolutions, yearly reports, and other legal papers.
- Business modifications must be written and filed, such as corporate revisions or name changes.
- Apply for a federal tax identification number, a business license, or a seller's permission.
- Legal papers and forms can be customized and downloaded.
Services for Intellectual Property
- Look for, register, or monitor a trademark.
- Request a patent or copyright protection.
Plan of Business Advisory
- A 30-minute discussion with attorneys on new legal concerns
- Examining contracts and other legal documents (up to 10 pages)
- Annual business assessment (requires a one-year subscription)
- Downloads from the legal library are unlimited
- Discounts on other LegalZoom products are also available
- LLC creation costs $79 plus state filing fees.
- The cost of forming a corporation begins at $149 plus state filing expenses.
- Nonprofit incorporation costs $99 plus state filing expenses.
- Formation of a limited partnership or limited liability partnership costs $149 plus state filing fees.
- Business Advisory Plan: $31.25 per month for the yearly plan, $36 per month for the six-month plan
- The cost of registered agent service is $299 per year.
- Doing business as (DBA) registration: $99 plus state filing costs.
- Annual reports begin at $55 plus filing expenses.
- Trademark registration costs $249 plus federal filing fees for the do-it-yourself option and $599 plus federal filing fees for the let an attorney do it option.
- Copyright applications begin at $114 plus filing expenses.
Pros and Cons of LegalZoom
Comprehensive and Reasonably Priced Business Legal Plan
This is the most affordable choice for a company legal package with regular access to an attorney.
The company's legal package, like rivals, offers phone consultations with an attorney and document evaluation. On the other hand, LegalZoom offers tax guidance and a yearly business appraisal in its legal package, which rivals do not.
It also includes one month of copyright registration, making it a terrific price for painters, musicians, and other creative freelancers and enterprises.
Guaranteed longevity and money back
LegalZoom is one of the most well-known and oldest online legal services, having assisted over four million businesses and consumers.
They provide the industry's longest money-back satisfaction guarantee of 60 days. You may also terminate your subscription and receive a prorated refund at any time.
Not the best platform for one-time legal assistance.
Certain services, such as document review, are only available if you subscribe to the monthly business legal plan. They are not available on a one-time basis.
Similarly, you can only obtain direct assistance from an attorney if you enroll in the Business Advisory package.
Customer Service Issues
Every day of the week, LegalZoom customer service is available via phone. Email assistance is also accessible.
Unfortunately, internet evaluations contain several concerns concerning the quality of customer assistance and business formation files.
Business Formation Is Expensive
LegalZoom is more expensive than rivals when it comes to business creation. Prices for business creation begin at $79 plus state filing fees, although rivals such as IncFile charge as low as $0 plus government filing expenses.
Summary of LegalZoom Reviews
Overall, LegalZoom has received positive feedback from internet review sites.
However, it's worth noting that LegalZoom provides personal legal services in addition to corporate legal services so that you may come across evaluations from both business owners and general consumers.
Positive LegalZoom reviews emphasize the professional quality of service provided, saying that LegalZoom attorneys and customer support people can answer problems and get things done swiftly.
According to reviewers, LegalZoom is uncomplicated, and their service is simple to use and comprehend. Furthermore, reviewers have had great experiences with LegalZoom's many solutions, including LLC creation, trademark registration, DBA registration, and more.
Finally, many reviewers point out that utilizing LegalZoom is less expensive and easier than hiring and paying for an attorney every time you require legal help.
Although there are many positive reviews concerning LegalZoom's expert service, most negative reviews are about bad customer service.
These reviews frequently cite being placed on hold for an extended time before speaking with a customer care agent.
Another source of LegalZoom complaints is over business filings, with reviewers saying that their firm formation paperwork was not filed on time.
Finally, some LegalZoom reviewers complain that services are pricey, particularly regarding some of the higher-level plan options offered with business creation.
LegalZoom Competitors and Alternatives
UpCounsel is a legal service that will connect you with an expert business attorney. Unlike LegalZoom and Rocket Lawyer, UpCounsel does not provide low-cost business creation services or monthly subscriptions.
Instead, they concentrate on more complex issues, including patents, securities, immigration, and general counsel services.
UpCounsel provides a network of 5,000 business attorneys from major law firms, Google, Apple, and other industry leaders.
If you believe your small business will want legal assistance on several issues or multiple times over several months, you should consider Rocket Lawyer.
LegalZoom's main competition is Rocket Lawyer. Many of the same services are available, such as business creation and a legal form library.
LegalZoom isn't the most cost-effective alternative if you're starting a new business. Instead, it would be best to utilize IncFile, a firm that specializes entirely in business creation.
IncFile also has superior internet evaluations for customer service and for submitting things accurately and on schedule compared to LegalZoom.
The Bottom Line
LegalZoom is one of the most well-known and oldest online legal businesses. You can discover various solutions to assist you in dealing with legal difficulties, such as starting a business, generating a unique legal document, or speaking with a lawyer.
Overall, while some of the other services are costly, the legal business plan is an excellent bargain for small enterprises that want occasional legal assistance but do not have an in-house lawyer or legal department.